22 Jan Guide to preparing your car for the driving test.
Before your test check
- The tax disc is in date and that the registration is correct.
- You have a current insurance disc, with a valid date and check the registration number!
- Your car has a valid NCT certificate, if it is over 4 years old.
- That your tyres have at least 1.6mm of depth over the main tread area. This is well over three quarters of the tyre width.
- That the tyre walls have no cuts, bulges, or cracks in them.
- That all your lights are working.
- Your wash-wipe tank is full and all wipers are working and are not worn.
- All your mirrors, both the inside and outside are clean. They must not be badly scratched, cracked or broken to impair vision.
- That all the warning lights in the car are working correctly. The test may be terminated if a warning light is on permanently.
- The seat belts are working correctly and show no signs of wear and tear. Particularly fraying.
- The brake fluid is at the correct level.
- The power steering fluid is at the correct level, unless you have EPS.
- The coolant is at the correct level.
- The oil is at the correct level.
- That all switches are working correctly.
This list is only a guide, if in doubt get an experienced mechanic or a local garage to inspect your car.